Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Accents of London

Here in London there are many wonderful accents to be accessed.
They include:
Really weird one on The Main, which is a show on the Food Channel. Seriously, where did this guy get those vowels. We've never heard anyone use them before. Conclusion: maybe he's a Newfie.
Kind of awesome Quebecois one on Ricardo and Friends, on the Food Channel. MarshMELLows.
Variety of accents, rather well done, in Catalpa, as Forrest mentioned. Although it must be noted:
Canadians do have a different accent than Americans. Sound changes include the famous "oot and aboot," which gives Canadian English a kind of charming Scottish tint.
Really absurd extreme RP in obscure British movie, Bright Young Things, which is the film adaptation of Evelyn Waugh's Vile Bodies. Both book and movie were kind of awesome, not least because of the luminous James McAvoy's presence in the latter. Sarah will back me up on this one lest you suspect I am simply lovestruck and have lost all objectivity. Yes, I am lovestruck, but I also have excellent taste.
Awesome Manchester accent of Monkey Poet, who we went to see last night. Fun show, very raunchy but well done and very interesting. Anyway, raunchy is good for me, I learn things.
Okay this isn't an accent, but I LOVE the London Library. All of their books are spread across like 12 locations and take days to get here but man do they have good selection of obscure British films!

No comments: