Thursday, August 7, 2008

2 Shows Left!

We're on the home stretch, a show tonight at 11:00, and one on Saturday at 10:30, and that's all she wrote. I'll save the lessons post for another time, for now, some more information on London, Ontario.

Cultural differences
It's not far from the American border, but we have noticed some startling differences between London and America. Perhaps the greatest difference being the level of shame Londoners have about fighting in public. We have witnessed some serious relationship problems bubbling to the surface as people are talking on their cell phones on the street. There have been at least 5 sightings of this phenomenon, and we are endlessly entertained. Some quotes: "You know I would never cheat on you right? (pause as she awaits reply, then throws up her one free hand) The Fuck!" "No, you need to come and get me right now, I don't care. If you give a shit at all, you'll come down here RIGHT NOW and pick me up." I then walked down the street a ways, out of earshot, thinking that after a line like that, anyone would hang up the phone for emphasis, but as I came back a minute later, I swear she was saying the exact same thing.

Weather differences
You can go outside and not die of heatstroke. London: 1, Washington DC: 0

People differences
I don't simply mean the differences in the citizenry of London as opposed to say, Portland; I mean that when people come here they are completely different. Take Abby for example, mild-mannered, sweet, hardworking Abby in the states, but bring her up here and she is officially a witch with superpowers. She must have stacked the decks in her favor, because I still have not beaten her at a card game. Anyone that's ever played cards with me will appreciate how fucked up this is.

I'm not entirely sure where this one will fit into these categories, but it needs to be said. We were walking to our car the other night, past a few restaurants with outdoor seating, and there was a lovely looking family sitting there. Lovely, that is, until the mother definitely fed her baby some of her beer. It was unmistakable. Nothing like a bit of alcohol to really get that liver strong, eh? Good times.

I suppose that's all for now, tomorrow we're taking a day trip to Niagra Falls, I'm sure there will be some wonderful news to report after that.

2 comments:

Becca said...

Lets be fair. I know PLENTY of American parents who have fed their kids beer. Like, non-trashy American people.

Poster Child said...

Cultural differences between Canada and America? Are you kidding? I am in MOTHERFUCKING JAPAN.