Not only is our beloved Kate gone, all the food she left behind is also gone. Also, she took fatty with her. I recently was able to stop crying for a few minutes, so I thought I would try and express myself through the art of writing. And while I'm at it, an update of popular Washington DC landmarks!
The World of Beer: Alright, so I know you probably haven't heard of this place if you're not from here, but that makes it all the more exciting for me, as I get to be the first to tell you. Their beer list is OUT of control. There are beers from everywhere in the world (only one from Oregon, which I find more than a little disturbing, but I got past that), and Jalapeno poppers that defy description. Also, it's right down the street from our venue. Hells yeah.
Capitol Building: Now as those of you who passed 5th grade history know, our government is divided into three parts. The executive branch, the legislative branch, and the judicial branch, the legislative branch being the one designed to be the closest and most accountable to the people. That said, the Capitol building is remarkable inaccessible. It's surrounded by fences and once you find your way through them, you still can't get in unless you're with a tour. I don't know how you get to be a part of these tours, but there was no place to sign up nearby. I was not impressed. I would write to my congressman, but the letter would probably be censored, so I won't bother.
Supreme Court Building: A lovely building, if a little small. Multiple entrances, fun stuff on the inside, and like three guards throughout the entire place. Amazing. Little known fact, the building was a pet project of Chief Justice William Howard Taft, of presidential fame. Not only is Taft the only person to be the head of two branches of the federal government, he spent his free time lobbying congress for his own building. With all the clout that comes with his two positions, I'll bet they let him right in without a tour guide.
Library of Congress: I've been to the Library of Congress (the largest library in the world or something like that) twice now, and the only books I've seen are two of the original Gutenburg bibles, and Jefferson's library, which you are only allowed to look at, not touch. I honestly don't know where they are hiding this enormous library I hear talk of, but they're doing a fantastic job. Maybe it's to keep up the mystique, like if just anyone were able to go into the library and see just how few books were really there, then the terrorists would win?
National Gallery: I saw a drawing in this museum that, I swear to God, was two inches wide by one inch high. Some guy named Rembrandt really put one over on those folks. I gained a new appreciation for Mr. Bean's opening of his discourse on Whistler's Mother. "First of all, it's very big. If it were small, you know, microscopic, no one would be able to see it." That said, it's an incredible building, with enough truly wonderful paintings to keep a person busy for weeks. Then again, I'm an actor, so I'm pretty impressed with little more than bright colors.
Air and Space Museum: I didn't bother to go to this one. I know quite a bit about air, having grown up around it most of my life, and what I know about space is that it is nothingness. Nothing at all. Also, both of these things are INVISIBLE. Why they would put them in a museum is beyond me.
Update on our performances: We've had lovely crowds our last two performances, the first of the two largely thanks to Abby's parents, who clearly missed their callings as marketing executives. We haven't gotten any more feedback in print, but we have heard some nice things from eavesdropping on the audience as they leave (our dressing room is perfectly positioned to hear the first things people say when they think they're out of earshot of the actors).
So now we have four more days and one more performance in the DC area, then we're off to LONDON! Ontario. London, Ontario. However, there is a 50% chance that we will be performing in the western part of the city, thus making our west end debut. And on our first international tour too. Wow.
In random news, we also met a hobo outside of a restaurant in DC who, after demonstrating his poetic prowess by reciting one of his own poems, proceeded to rattle off, in its entirety, "Casey at the Bat." I hadn't heard it since I was a wee little lad, so that kind of made my night...or maybe it was the pomegranitinis, which are exactly what they sound like.
Other Wittie sightings to report: Ajay Abraham, Roman Goerss, Stephen Carter, Matt Bennett, and Andrew Propp, who took what I am told are some wonderful photographs of us. Thanks Andrew.
I will leave you with a quote of the day: "I don't know what gave me the shriveled soul of a fifty-year-old bitch, but it makes it really hard to enjoy a sunset." -Redhead who shall remain nameless
Friday, July 25, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Oregon Brewers Festival was this weekend. I got back at the lame-ass DC showing by proceeding to snub the few non-west coast brewers that were there. I mean, there was one from idaho. and a chicago one. maybe montana? And I had run out of tokens by that point. You know how it is guys. It's the end of beer month here and there are just so many specialty beers being foisted on you from every angle.
and a lady selling "beer chips" which i think are beer flavored potato chips, but i was blinded by the gold-foil dress the seller was wearing and had to seek cover beneath novelty beer-bottle sunglasses.
in other news, oregon not only have more breweries than any other US city, but more strip clubs too. tell uncle sam we need a bit more love from their big white, impenetrable buildings.
Post a Comment