Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Much News!

Oh my gosh, Washington DC is FULL of adventure! A few of us spent the day yesterday going to every monument we could and being as touristy as possible (pretty easy here it turns out, you could spend weeks doing it), so for all of you devoted blog reader, a return to our classic form. A list of famous buildings we saw yesterday.

The White House: That's right, we started big. As we approached the north side (lesser known, facing away from the Washington Monument), there were several aging hippies blasting peace-loving songs and displaying large pieces of cardboard with writing on them explaining why George W Bush is going to hell. Encouraged by the music (and dare I say, the onlookers?) two squirrels were definitely doing sex on the north lawn of the White House. Like seriously doing sex. It just might have been the highlight of this entire summer. We then walked around to get a look at the South side, and we got yelled at by a guard for not staying on the sidewalk. Luckily the Secret Service stopped shooting before too long, but I'm pretty sure we are now on some sort of watch list. So to the agent assigned to reading this blog, tell your superiors I'm sorry and I'll try to stay off the grass next time.

Dwight David Eisenhower Executive Building (known on the West Wing as the OEOB, or Old Executive Office Building): Let's just say that for all the responsibility the Vice President doesn't have, he gets a pretty badass building in which to do it.

Washington Monument: If I were our nations first president, I would be proud to have one of the world's largest and most unabashed phallic symbols commemorating my life. I'm still not entirely sure why Washington got a monument and everyone else gets memorials, but there you are.

World War II Memorial, Vietnam Memorial, Korean War Memorial: These get way more intense the darker it is outside, I recommend if you're planning to go to them, aim to hit them at sundown or just after.

Lincoln Memorial: You know, no one really talks about this part of Lincoln, but his speeches were actually really good. And there they are, carved up on the wall of his memorial. Also, the dude was enormous; it needed to be said.

Roosevelt Memorial: Easily the most difficult to find of all the memorials, but well worth the many adventures it took to get there. Waterfalls and inspirational quotes and a larger-than-life statue of a Scotty Dogg. Ohhhhh puppy!

Jefferson Memorial: Another one that takes some adventuring to get to. We walked past a sign that said "Authorized Vehicles Only," but we're hardcore and some of our group had just come out of the spy museum, so we walked through. No big deal. Anyway, it turns out Jefferson was actually not a bad writer either. Who knew?

National Portrait Gallery: All the Smithsonian museums are free, which is approaching the price I'm willing to pay to go into most of them. They're almost there. However, I splurged and went to the National Portrait Gallery today; the art is all well and good, but don't forget to walk into the inner courtyard. Beth decided she was going to build one just like it when she is a disgustingly wealthy actress so she can live in it. Hooray!

National Spy Museum: I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you.

In other news, I saw a show tonight featuring Dadaist clowns. I'm still not sure what in the hell Dadaism is all about, but it sounds like one of those things that's supposed to be capitalized, so I guess that's something right? Also, anytime you can find something to put in a show that makes people say, "well I really liked the parts where it was just clown stuff," kudos to you. Anyway, the show was pretty good, despite most of it going quite over my head I'm sure, so if you happen to be in the DC area, the show is called Manifesto, and I recommend it.

That's all for now, it's late and I must to bed, so I shall leave you with another list.

Number of rounds of drinks bought for our cast: 2 more than last time, I've lost track
New Favorite Drink: The Ajay Surprise. Trust me, it's actually a drink, this is not a dirty joke.
Percentage of us now in favor of acquiring a company cat: 100! KITTY!
Number of company cats acquired: 0. So far.
Number of performances until Kate leaves us: 2. Frowny face.
Number of performances before Lisa joins us: 2! Smiley face!

No comments: